The town’s name derives from the Latin, Sylva Arboris Belli (wood from the tree of war), after an oak wood which once grew nearby. It seems to have been founded in the XV century by the Acquaviva family, the Counts of Conversano; but it was only from 1635 that the town really began to develop, under the influence of Count Giangirolamo II, “the squint-eyed”.
Alberobello is the capital of the trulli country in Puglia, and the old town, which has been decreed a national monument, is an important tourist attraction. The principal quarters of the town, Monti and Aia Piccola, are entirely made up of trulli lining the uphill lanes: a fairytale scene which never fails to enchant visitors to this part of the region.
The only memories of the Roman Brindisi are the two columns that marked the end of the Appian Way that connected Rome to Brindisi from the II century B.C.
Piazza Ferdinando IV
+39 080 4325171
The Trullo Shaped Church
Trullo shaped church with a façade of three wings adorned with a rose window and two round windows. The roof of the church is cone shaped and measures 19.80 metres high, and the bell tower is surmounted by a small dome.
This is an area of Alberobello which includes about 1000 trulli lining seven streets which meet at the top of the hill where the trullo shaped church of Saint Anthony dominates the view.
The name Aia (farm yard) recalls a wide space which in ancient times was used for threshing corn. The whole area includes about 400 trulli and it is the most untouched part of the town.