The museum of Ostuni called "Civiltà preclassiche della Murgia Meridionale" is found
inside the Church of San Vito Martire, also known as the Church of Monacelle, and the halls of
the Monastery of the Ordine Carmelitano di clausura, located next to it.
The museum houses several discoveries made in the area of Southern Murgia starting from the 5th century BC -
Japigian-Messapian era - until the 16th century.
Among these, the finds from the Park of Santa Maria di Agnano, including a reconstruction of
the site where the 26,000 year old skeleton of a pregnant Palaeolithic woman was found - later
named Delia or Donna di Ostuni. The reconstruction also shows the place of burial of Delia herself.
Inside the museum there is also a temporary exhibition "Ostuni and its territory: daily life and the
sacred in archaeological evidence" which traces the history of the territory of Ostuni.
Adresses and contacts
Address: Via Cattedrale, 15 (entrance from Church of San Vito Martire)
Telephone: +39 0831 336 383
Email address: email@example.com
From 16 September to 14 June:
- - From Monday to Friday 10.00-13.00
- - Saturday and Sunday 10.00-13.00 and 16.00-19.00
From 15 June to 15 September:
- - All week 10.00-13.00 and 18.00-22.00
If you want to find out more about Ostuni buy our eBook guide
Ostuni the White City guide eBook is available for kindle, iPad, iPhone, Android, PC and Mac.
Buy it on Amazon.co.uk for just £ 3.24
Buy it on Amazon.com for just $ 5.80
- Full coverage of the history of Ostuni with its monuments, churches and portals with reference to a map of the historic centre.
- A description of the surroundings of Ostuni: the best masserie and hypogeum mills, the prehistoric remains and cliff dwellings,
the trulli houses and the coastline with reference to a map of the local area.
- The best restaurants in Ostuni and the area, the pubs, bars, lounge bars, shops and sport facilities.
- General information on transport, opening hours and the practicalities.
- Day trips: how to get to other places of interest in Puglia.
This eBook also includes four useful maps:
- - The historic centre of Ostuni;
- - The territory around Ostuni;
- - The railway network of Puglia, to help anyone who wants to move around by train;
- - A complete map of Puglia with places of historical and artistic interest.