Park of Santa Maria di Agnano
The Archaeological and natural park of Santa Maria di Agnano is
located at 2 km from Ostuni on the road from Ostuni to Fasano (SS16).
Inside this park were found remains from the Neolithic, Japigian-Messapian and Medieval ages.
Casts of these finds are today displayed in the Museum
of "Civiltà preclassiche della Murgia meridionale" located in the historic centre of Ostuni (via
Inside one of the caves of the park was discovered the skeleton later called "Delia", today
commonly known as "Ostuni 1". This is a skeleton of an 8 months pregnant woman of about 20
years old, dating back 26,000 years. Along with these remains were also found funeral
kits, a shell necklace, a headpiece and many other items .
In more modern times the site of Santa Maria of Agnano was used as a place of worship of the
Virgin Mary. Inside it the icon of the Virgin frescoed on a wall can still be seen today.
Info about the park of Santa Maria di Agnano
This park is located on the SS16 from Ostuni o Fasano - at km 874/II
Visits can be made by reservation. Please call the following numbers:
Mobile phone: +39 346 106 5301
Landline: +39 0831 336 383
If you want to find out more about Ostuni buy our eBook guide
Ostuni the White City guide eBook is available for kindle, iPad, iPhone, Android, PC and Mac.
Buy it on Amazon.co.uk
Buy it on Amazon.com
- Full coverage of the history of Ostuni with its monuments, churches and portals with reference to a map of the historic centre.
- A description of the surroundings of Ostuni: the best masserie and hypogeum mills, the prehistoric remains and cliff dwellings,
the trulli houses and the coastline with reference to a map of the local area.
- The best restaurants in Ostuni and the area, the pubs, bars, lounge bars, shops and sport facilities.
- General information on transport, opening hours and the practicalities.
- Day trips: how to get to other places of interest in Puglia.
This eBook also includes four useful maps:
- - The historic centre of Ostuni;
- - The territory around Ostuni;
- - The railway network of Puglia, to help anyone who wants to move around by train;
- - A complete map of Puglia with places of historical and artistic interest.