Modern Foggia has grown from the village to which the inhabitants of Arpi moved after their city was destroyed by the Saracens in the XI century.
The period of greatest splendour of the city was during the rule of the Swabian Frederick II, who build an Imperial Palace confirming the city as the centre of strategic importance of the Tavogliere.
The city was frequently sacked and in 1528 it was devastated by the French during the Franco-Spanish war. In 1731 it was also razed to the ground by an earthquake. It was eventually rebuilt by the Bourbons. Now days Foggia is a modern city with flowering commerce, industry and craft.
This is a fine example of Romanesque architecture with Baroque touches. It was founded by William II and completely rebuilt after the 1731 earthquake. Of the original Romanesque structure only the lower section has survived. Inside there is a Byzantine icon which, according to legend, was discovered by shepherds in a mere over which danced three burning flames, now the symbol of the city.
Foggia is rich in Baroque architecture with beautiful Baroque style palaces such as the Palazzo della Rosa and Palazzo della Dogana. Also the Church of the Calvario and the Church of San Giovanni, built in 1626.
It was founded, according to the legend, by Diomedes in 362 B.C. It was an ally of Rome in the war against the Samnites, occupied by Hannibal and reconquered by the Romans. Various structures of Hellenistic-Roman origin have been brought to light. In the necropolis of Arpi a number of tombs have been found in the shape of graves or small grottoes, containing Apulian vases ornamented with red figures.