The area where Gallipoli is now in Puglia, was originally inhabited by the Messapi and then by the Greeks who called it Kale’ Polis, beautiful city. During this period Gallipoli ruled over vast territories, coining its own currency, until it was subdued by the Romans in 265 BC becoming a military station and a municipality.
The Trajan Way joined the town to Brindisi and its strategic importance rapidly increased. Gallipoli was frequently attacked by the Saracens who finally occupied the town in 915.
With the coming of the Normans, the Diocese of Gallipoli once more came under the jurisdiction of Rome, although the Greek rites were celebrated until 1513.
Under Spanish domination it enjoyed a period of peace and was embellished with churches and noble residences. The golden age of the Salentine Baroque had began: the Castle was restored and the Cathedral rebuilt.
It bears witness to the town’s Grecian past. Rebuilt in 1560 and recently restored.
The XVI century Castle which incorporated the earlier Angevin fortifications and includes lunettes surmounted by a round tower.
The Cathedral dedicated to S. Agatha, a fine example of the Salentine Baroque. The splendid façade was completed in 1696 and a number of important paintings from the XVII and XVIII century Salentine School are kept inside.
The splendid Della Purità Church is richly decorated in stucco. On its walls one can see beautiful and exceptionally large paintings.